Ted calls Lake Worth, Florida his home and was the co-founder and past president of The New School of the Visual Arts in Jupiter, Florida where he continues to teach watercolor, oil and acrylic painting, pastels and plein air painting. . He was formerly the Chair of Painting and Drawing at the Lighthouse Art Center Museum and School of Art in Tequesta, Florida.
He has also taught at the Armory Art Center in West Palm Beach, Florida and the Boca Museum School of Art in Boca Raton, Florida. He has conducted classes and workshops in Michigan and Vermont, and currently does domestic and international workshops in Massachusetts, Maine, Italy and France and recently in Cuba. Ted majored in Watercolor at the Eastern Michigan University and also studied at Kendall College of Art and Design. He has worked in design related positions with Jacobson’s Store, Inc, Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor.
Ted founded and chaired the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Annual Lighthouse ArtCenter’s Plein Air Festival for 2014-2016 in Tequesta/Jupiter Florida and acted as a consultant to the 2017 Annual Festival. The event drew 50 nationally and internationally recognized plein air artists to compete for over $10,000 in prize awards.
Artist’s Statement – Ted Matz, a contemporary realist and plein air painter.
Ted is in constant awe of all the wonderful natural forms, structures, colors and patterns that can be found in the everyday world of Southern Florida. All of these amazing natural elements have inspired him to create as an artist. His hope is that by observing his artwork the viewer will be drawn to the beauty most people overlook and take for granted in their busy daily lives.
My teaching philosophy and practice is based on the principle that it’s “all about you”. I’m not interested in teaching you to paint like me but in helping you to paint like you and to help you to become a more skilled artist with your own authentic voice. My course structure concentrates on teaching both the craft and the art of painting.
The craft results from developing a strong visual language: value, composition, drawing, color, edges, details, variation, pattern, etc. My emphasis is on developing a strong sense of seeing—to include color, tonal relationships and an understanding of and the manipulation of what is seen.
The art is all about finding your authentic voice and developing your self-awareness and self-confidence as an artist. To increase ones skill level there is no substitute for putting in long hours in the studio and by making a commitment to paint by painting. Fear, perfectionism, the need for approval, the aversion to risk-taking all contribute to inhibiting one’s commitment to painting and therefor preventing us from living up to our creative potential. The ability to deal skillfully with these issues is as important as the skill of knowing how to mix the right color or developing a strong composition. My goal is to have you recognize, understand, and manage your problems as well as your weaknesses, therefor allowing you to work more productively and creatively.
To view current work and activities, go to: www.tedmatz.blogspot.com
Recent Exhibition Experience:
• 2014 Everything Italian, Lighthouse ArtCenter Museum, Group Show, Tequesta, FL
• 2013 Viva Florida 500 Elliot Museum, Stuart, FL
• 2012 Lighthouse ArtCenter Museum, One man show, Tequesta, FL
• 2011 Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens, One man show, West Palm Beach, FL
• 2003 Ward-Nasse Gallery, New York City
• 2002 Ward-Nasse Gallery, New York City
• 2001 Summer Invitational for Emerging Artists in New York City, Denise Bibro Gallery, New York
Drawing, Watercolor, Oil Painting, Plein Air Painting & Workshops
Past Co-Founder of The New School of the Visual Arts, Jupiter, FL
• Past Department Chair of Drawing and Painting at the Lighthouse ArtCenter Museum and School of Art, Tequesta, FL
• Workshops at Snow Farm, Williamsburg, MA
• International Plein Air Painting Workshops, Cortona, Amalfi Coast and Farandola, Italy, Arles/St.Remy, France and Cuba.
• Armory Art Center, West Palm Beach, FL and Boca Museum School of Art, Boca Raton, FL
• The Vermont Arts Exchange, Bennington, VT
• Chaffee Art Center, Rutland, VT
• Ann Arbor Art Center, Ann Arbor, MI
• Ella Sharp Museum, Jackson, MI
• Signature Member of the Artist Guild of the Boca Museum of Art, Boca Raton, FL
• International Plein Air Painters
Kendall College of Art & Design, Interior Design
Eastern Michigan University, Major Fine Arts/Watercolor
Professional Work History:
Creative Director of Advertising, Jacobson’s Stores, Inc.
Corporate Visual Merchandising Director/Stores, Jacobson’s Stores, Inc.
Visual Merchandising Director, Saks Fifth Avenue/ Palm Beach and Lord & Taylor, Detroit